The holiday season can create chaos for the plumbing in your home. This is especially true if you plan on hosting a large holiday party in your home or have many guests stay with you during the course of the holidays. For this reason, you want to consider these five plumbing tips to help you prepare:
- Don't Use Drain Cleaners: First off, don't prepare for guests by using drain cleaners to clean up any plumbing features in your home. It may seem like the right thing to do, but it can actually do more harm then good. This is because drain cleaners are made with harsh chemicals that damage the pipes. Instead, hire a plumber to clean the drains for you. Your plumber will use natural cleaners to give the plumbing in your home the safest clean possible.
- Dispose of Food and Oils in the Trash: During the holidays, when you are cooking large meals, leave the trash can in view for guests to use. This avoids the possibility of food scrapes making their way down the garbage disposal, which can only damage it. When cooking, you also want to dispose of oils in the trash once it has cooled down. Oil can stick to the garbage disposal causing a clog. Plus, if the oil is still hot, it can cause severe damage to the walls of the garbage disposal.
- Put a Trash Can in the Bathroom: Another area where a trash can should be clearly visible for guests is the bathroom. This way, there is a smaller chance of anything getting flushed down the toilet that shouldn't be, such as feminine products, large amounts of toilet paper, Q-tips, and more.
- Leave a Plunger Out: One top of having a trash can clearly visible in the bathroom, be sure that there is a plunger, as well. This way, if anything does happen, your guests have the opportunity to fix it before it becomes worse. This also avoids the awkward situation of a guest having to tell you that they clogged the toilet.
- Know How to Resolve a Severe Clog: In the case of a severe clog, you should know what to do to either repair it quickly or to hold off the possibility of water damage while waiting for a plumber. The best thing to do is to turn off the water to the plumbing fixture that is clogged and then run hot water down it. This could possibly break up the clog. Once you turn the water back on, it may be fixed. If not, then turn the water back off and wait for the emergency plumber to arrive.
When you consider these five plumber tips for the holidays, you can be prepared to prevent serious plumbing issues that are all to common during this time of year. For more information, contact companies like Adams Plumbing & Heating Company.